    RE: iSCSI Data Integrity - Digests

    Y.P.

    <snip>
    > > The urgent pointer has a defined behavior within RFC documentation
    > > such that to define it as a record boundary is not in keeping
    > > with standards.  To implement and use an urgent pointer as a record
    > > boundary pointer clearly modifies the TCP standard.
    >
    > Very interesting argument.  Urgent pointer is meant to be a inband signal
    > that can be used for any particular purpose a user has in mind.  Saying
    > urgent pointer as a marker for a record or a message being a
    > modification of
    > TCP standard, IMHO, is definitely a stretch.  However, I yield
    > the debate to
    > the TCP gurus.

    The urgent pointer marks urgent data and must coalesce to include additional
    urgent data.  To use the urgent pointer to mark boundaries in close
    proximity, as close as the next segment as you described, then you will be
    required to modify TCP to not coalesce.  Starving send will not be conducive
    to accelerated use and not coalescing the pointer is a violation of the TCP
    standard.  Both TCP send and receive coalesce.  Yes, the urgent pointer is
    an inband signal but with these clearly defined limitations.  These
    limitations make it impractical for use as a record marker and likely to
    thwart TCP Offload Engines as it also requires unique data handling.  The
    urgent pointer is not a general purpose marker.  Its devised use is to
    expedite and only requires a single variable.  You are attempting to expand
    use of the urgent pointer to encompass a greatly revised definition
    requiring an attribute reserved for every message unit up to one per
    segment.  It is definitely a stretch to consider this not a modification of
    the TCP standard, IMO.

    Doug