    Re: iSCSI error recovery

    YP,

    Y P Cheng wrote:

    > With a single CRC covering both the frame header and payload, when a bad
    > frame is thrown away which is the only one in a sequence, the only way for
    > detecting the missing frame is timeout.

    Not true for a Data PDU. An I/O timeout only occurs when the Status PDU is
    discarded due to a CRC error [or format error]. Discarding a Data PDU [due to a
    CRC error or format error] results in I/O underrun, [a terminology used to
    describe initiator receiving less data than sent by target] and can be detected
    by a count check . [using a DataSN based count as described by Julian in his
    last clarification on this issue.]

    If the Data PDU also contained the Status within, then discarding such a PDU
    does cause an I/O timeout.

    Regards,
    Santosh

    begin:vcard
    n:Rao;Santosh
    tel;work:408-447-3751
    x-mozilla-html:FALSE
    org:Hewlett Packard, Cupertino.;SISL
    adr:;;19420, Homestead Road, M\S 43LN,	;Cupertino.;CA.;95014.;USA.
    version:2.1
    email;internet:santoshr@cup.hp.com
    title:Software Design Engineer
    x-mozilla-cpt:;21088