    RE: iSCSI: CmdSN and Retry

    Santosh,

    TCP mandates sequential delivery.  As was often stated on this reflector,
    framing would be to place data payloads but would not impact the sequence of
    any operation.  An extra handshake that requires a small delay should there
    be a non-sequential event would occur orders of magnitude less often than
    similar waits for TCP.  As this must be a rare event, the wait will be
    insignificant.  Assurance of sequential delivery improves reliability and
    does not require command-by-command pacing to provide expected SCSI
    operation that otherwise is easily done with parallel SCSI configurations.
    The buffer size will be nominally one packet larger to handle such extra
    handshake and again insignificant.  I see nothing to justify complexity
    offered by convoluted recovery for a digest error.  SCTP offers a means of
    delivering objects out-of-sequence and then perhaps flagging which objects
    can violate SCSI's sense of ordering could be done to help facilitate long
    pipes.  If this ever becomes a significant factor, the bandwidth will be so
    small as to be of little concern anyway.

    Doug