    Re: iSCSI : Digest Error Problems & CmdSN/ExpCmdSN window issues

    julian_satran@il.ibm.com wrote:

    > Santosh,
    >
    > The trouble with forbidding a certain behavior is that you have to enforce
    > it (i.e.,  check and signal errors for units that do not behave).

    No you don't have to "enforce" it at all.  Using Santosh's example, if a
    target broke the rules and performed data overlay, then the initiator will
    always mark the I/O as bad, and the market forces will take over (customer
    will buy a compliant target).

       Besides
    > - the whole philosophy of the SCSI set of protocols is that the target is
    > the master and the initiator should let the target decide how to fulfill
    > the command.   That is why we chose not to impose restrictions above those
    > imposed by SCSI.  The whole set of issues is also raised only because we
    > provide also for storage proxies - otherwise a stronger checksum at TCP
    > level and recovery at TCP level would have done what we wanted and recovery
    > of the type we are dealing now with would have been done at TCP level.
    > I am confident that we can reinstate DataSN a simple mean to sequence (not
    > ack) data packets and considerably simplify recovery.

    If there is a data digest failure, the iSCSI PDU is discarded, and the test
    that Santosh describes will fail.  At that point, the command is "retried",
    and using my example of the retry implementation in the thread "iSCSI: I/O
    (command) recovery" error recovery is performed.  No need for DataSN...

    > And do not forget that raising the error up to ULP with a service response
    > will make the recovery far more expensive (as Prasenjit has already stated)
    > - far more than current wedge drivers do as these rarely consider commands
    > in flight and the need to keep order in a target that is not yet aware that
    > something went wrong.

    I agree that erorrs due to the transport should not be propagated to the ULP.
    In the case of a digest failure, this means that the TCP checksum indicated
    the segment was good, meaning that a middle box corrupted the TCP segment and
    sent it out with a "fixed" TCP checksum.

    The simple iSCSI error recovery using the retry should handle this corner case
    very well.

    -Matt