    RE: iSCSI Data Integrity - Digests

    At 10:13 AM 1/29/2001 -0800, Douglas Otis wrote:
    >Michael,
    >
    >Your highest and second highest preference represents a change to the TCP
    >protocol in that it mandates segment alignment of the PDU with the Ethernet
    >frame.

    This is not a change to the TCP protocol - strictly implementation specific.

    >The impact of changing TCP into a datagram protocol may not be well
    >received.

    It is still byte streaming but iSCSI PDUs don't span multiple
    segments.  This is an application-specific issue, i.e. it is the unit of
    how one sends data and has nothing to do with the TCP protocol
    itself.  This really isn't any different than what applications do today -
    a peek() to determine how to cast the byte stream into a message - which is
    very common for most sockets applications.

    >  If you wish to see two frame checks, one for the iSCSI header and one
    > again for the SCSI payload, I would suggest that there are variables used
    > as handshakes within the iSCSI
    >header that could use even a simpler scheme than a 16 bit CRC, a 32 bit XOR.
    >If done in software, both the TCP checksum and this header checksum will
    >require updating.  A single CRC field will represent a time constraint in
    >that a pipeline delay of iSCSI feedback will exist. Allowing these
    >calculations to take place prior to being placed for delivery within an
    >interrupt routine is the advantage of allowing a simple feedback update.

    Disagree with your recommendations and analysis.  There is no change
    required for the TCP checksum this proposal is strictly above the TCP
    layer, i.e. iSCSI.

    Mike