    RE: iSCSI: INQUIRY page 0x83 identifier

    A RAID controller needs to construct unique identifiers for
    its virtual volumes.  The hardware typically has a single
    EUI-64.  It's difficult for software to construct unique
    64-bit identifiers that don't interfere with the EUI-64
    namespace.  The hardware EUI-64 would have to represent a
    range rather than just one ID.  It's much simpler to use the
    EUI-64 as a base and append bits to the end.  That's how the
    128-bit Registered Extended format is used.

    I wouldn't mind only documenting the 64-bit IEEE Registered
    and 128-bit IEEE Registered Extended formats in type 3h.
    However, this is an SPC-3 issue, not an iSCSI issue.

    The difference between the type 2h EUI-64 and the type 3h
    IEEE Registered type is the latter includes a 4-bit Naming
    Address Authority (NAA) field, restricting the
    vendor-specific portion to 36 bits.

    Type 2 (EIU-64):
    	24-bit company ID + 40 bit vendor-specific

    Type 3 (FC-FS):
    	4 bit NAA + 60 bit NAA-specific

      Type 3 NAA=IEEE Registered:
    	24-bit company ID + 36-bit vendor-specific
      Type 3 NAA=IEEE Registered Extended:
    	24-bit company ID + 36-bit vendor-specific + 64-bit vendor-specific

    ---
    PC: Robert.Elliott@compaq.com
    UNIX: relliott@unixmail.compaq.com