    RE: iSCSI: INQUIRY page 0x83 identifier

    At 01:30 PM 1/26/2001 -0800, Robert Snively wrote:
    > > As for an iSCSI type or format for logical unit identifiers:
    > > 1) SCSI already allows for an ascii formatted identifier (typically this
    > > includes vendor, model, serial number). Since NDT has defined WWUIs for
    > > DEVICES and these have a defined UTF-8 format, there is nothing to
    > > *prevent* a vendor from using these strings as the starting point for LU
    > > page 83 identifiers of the logical units within that device.
    > > 2) But..., iSCSI and NDT should not attempt to make a rule under which
    > > these are used.  FC's intervention in this was more as a strong suggestion,
    > > and is certainly not a requirement.
    >
    >Jim,
    >
    >I generally agree with the text of your comments, but there are
    >a couple of details I would like to address.
    >
    >Any name not based on a registered entity and in a registered format
    >is not guaranteed to be world-wide unique, and is therefore
    >inappropriate.  That is why numbers like OUIs and SCSI Vendor IDs
    >in specified parts of the identifier are a requirement.  EUI-64
    >and FC identifiers have that property.  FC identifiers have the added
    >benefit of having a regular extension capability for dynamic creation
    >of logical units.  As you point out, iSCSI need not use FC
    >identifiers, but a bunch of people like them for their constant
    >defined length and guaranteed world-wide unique identifiers.
    >
    >However, I feel that iSCSI should be a lot more hard nosed than
    >SAM-2 and require that VPD page "83" contain a mandatory world-wide
    >unique logical unit identifier in an appropriate invariant format.
    >For compatibility with other SCSI drivers, it should be limited
    >to 128 bits of length.  This would not be an identifier set by
    >the user (there are other SCSI identifiers that can be set by the
    >user), but one that is invariant from the time of manufacture (for
    >physical devices) or creation (for logical devices) of the logical unit.

    Why not just require EUI-64 which is a very large name space and is / will
    be used in many hardware solutions today / future?  This would also fit in
    well with other I/O standards that use EUI-64 for identifying all I/O
    components / controllers.  Having a 128-bit value seems like overkill and
    provides little benefit.

    Mike