    Re: iSCSI : Command Ordering Proposal.

    I'd also like to point out that all this discussion on ordered task tags is
    mostly of academic interest. How many implementations today use Ordered Task Tags
    ? I have'nt seen this in use in the implementations I've worked with.

    Does anybody know of how widely used this ordered task tag feature is ? If it is
    a totally un-used feature, we're adding all of this complexity to address
    something that is un-used.

    Regards,
    Santosh

    Santosh Rao wrote:

    > Charles Monia wrote:
    >
    > >   For example, if I
    > > send commands A B |C| D E, where |C| is ordered, I expect that D and E won't
    > > complete before |C|.  If A B D and E arrive followed by |C|, there's no way
    > > to obtain the correct behavior. Incidentally, similar constraints hold true
    > > for "head of queue" tasks.
    > >

    > Charles,
    >
    > SAM-2 Section 7 states :
    >
    > "The rules for task set management apply only after the task is entered
    > into the task set."
    >
    > This implies that the enforcement of the ordering of task tags in your above
    > example is NOT based on when the initiator sent the commands, but on when
    > these tasks enter the task set at the target.
    >
    > i.e. The initiator may send A, B, |C|, D, E, where |C| is ordered.
    >
    > The commands may arrive at the target in the order :
    > A, E, |C|, B, D in a multi-connection session.
    >
    > The commands A and E are not subject to any form of ordering.
    > (being simple tag commands and having no ordered tag commands
    > ahead in the task set.)
    >
    > The commands |C|, B & D are subject to the ordering that B & D cannot
    > be executed until C is first executed. Thereafter, B & D are subject to
    > simple tag rules.
    >
    > I believe the confusion lies in whether ordered task tags imply end-to-end
    > ordering or ordering within the received task set at the target. the former
    > requires strict ordering on the link or re-ordering at the target, in the
    > absence
    > of strict link ordering. The latter does NOT require any link ordering or
    > re-ordering
    > at the target, since it only enforces ordering within the received task set.
    >
    > Comments ?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Santosh

    begin:vcard
    n:Rao;Santosh
    tel;work:408-447-3751
    x-mozilla-html:FALSE
    org:Hewlett Packard, Cupertino.;SISL
    adr:;;19420, Homestead Road, M\S 43LN,	;Cupertino.;CA.;95014.;USA.
    version:2.1
    email;internet:santoshr@cup.hp.com
    title:Software Design Engineer
    x-mozilla-cpt:;21088