    Re: iscsi : Fragmentation & Reassembly issues in iSCSI.

    julian_satran@il.ibm.com wrote:

    > <js> I will introduce in 04 a statement saying that that PingMaxRelayLength
    > will be limited by the lowest of the two </js>

    Julian,

    The fragmentation issue as explained in the above example is also applicable
    for the Login and Text Commands. (TotalText > DataPDULength).

    In the case of these commands, a "F" bit is required in bit 7 of byte 1 of the
    command & response PDUs to indicate the last command or response PDU due to
    the fragmentation issues that arise from TotalText & DataPDULength.

    > Solution :
    > =======
    > Specify explicitly in Appendix C that DataPDULength is only applicable
    > for SCSI Command PDU and SCSI Data PDU. The current definition is open
    > to being mis-interpreted as a form of iSCSI MTU, something that can
    > result in the iSCSI layer having to deal with fragmentation and
    > re-assembly issues for non-SCSI PDUs.
    >
    > <js> What would be those? Text commands? Login? Nops? Having a single limit
    > seemms simpler </js>

    On the lines of your above solution, (based on a single limit), removal of
    PingMaxReplyLength should be considered and implicitly use DataPDULength as
    the PingMaxReplyLength. This ensures only 1 limit for NOP-OUT/NOP-IN.

    Regards,
    Santosh

    begin:vcard
    n:Rao;Santosh
    tel;work:408-447-3751
    x-mozilla-html:FALSE
    org:Hewlett Packard, Cupertino.;SISL
    adr:;;19420, Homestead Road, M\S 43LN,	;Cupertino.;CA.;95014.;USA.
    version:2.1
    email;internet:santoshr@cup.hp.com
    title:Software Design Engineer
    x-mozilla-cpt:;21088