    RE: Framing Discussion

    Michael,

    > At 04:58 PM 12/20/2000 -0800, Douglas Otis wrote:
    >
    > >problem of the block size being less than the page size.  Unless the SCSI
    > >application is forced to allocate in pages and you have a means
    > to force the
    > >alignment of these blocks as they are delivered by the network, then this
    > >MMU technique is not available.
    >
    > Many file systems allocate in nice multiple 4KB quantities making much of
    > this fairly straight to implement and for partials these are
    > either placed
    > in a multiple 4KB buffer or these tend to align on power of 2 quantities
    > buffers so the performance impacts are mitigated.

    Here we have a sticky problem of alignment.  You envision an intelligent
    adapter forcing this alignment on an application specific basis.  This
    intelligent adapter will recognize content of the TCP stream, remove
    prefixed iSCSI headers, and pad-out non-page-sized data transfers.  The
    intelligent adapter will use content of this TCP stream to direct iSCSI
    headers into different buffers than SCSI data and keep a relationship
    between header and data.  One means would be to extract the tag within the
    header and use the pre-allocated buffer to place data.  In David Black's
    view, this interface would be the same as a SCSI adapter.  In that manner,
    the header-data association is automatic.  Your desire is to allow a simple
    merge of InfiniBand hardware with IP technology.  Presently InfiniBand does
    not automate IP nor SCSI, so you are trying to solving more than an SCSI-TCP
    specific problem.

    Julian has presented his view of adding a suffix to the IP header as a means
    of framing and adding InfiniBand-IP differential information.  Those fearful
    of this approach could use standard TCP and suffer additional buffer
    requirements or retransmissions upon a segment loss.  Will there be enough
    performance loss to justify such a transition and will InfiniBand be
    motivation for this transition?  InfiniBand is agnostic about the protocol
    and has not breached the area of IP or SCSI with perhaps the exception of
    using IPv6 size addresses.  With such short-comings of TCP, why use a
    modified TCP to instantiate a new SCSI interface?  Solutions being hardware
    based, especially for those within InfiniBand, what benefit is derived using
    this modified TCP?  You will be forced to handle two such protocols.  Normal
    and the enhanced for wide screen.

    In Julian's words:

      "Many of the new applications could benefit from using functions
       available from a new transport (like SCTP) but no vendor is going
       to "bet the business" on an all new and radically different
       transport protocol - unless there is a transition plan that
       allows him to start by using a mature transport protocol and then
       migrate it to a new protocol."

    This transition plan is going from TCP to TAF-TCP, where the application
    interacts at the datagram level to align retransmit and where additional
    headers are added ahead of the transport headers.  To review iSCSI, it is
    SCSI on iSCSI on TCP on TAF on IP.  How is it good for either IP or
    InfiniBand to add additional application specific layers?  To deploy,
    network equipment is impacted by this transition so you are not just
    stepping on your own TOEs.  It would appear that even Julian agrees that
    SCTP is a solution, but he can not see the transition.  RFC 2960 does
    provide the framing for RDMA, VI, SCSI, IPC, gaming, multi-media, audio, and
    every feature being sought with this TAF extension.  Which provides the
    superior solution and allows the cleanest transition?

    See:
    http://www.haifa.il.ibm.com/satran/ips/draft-satran-transport-adaptation-fra
    mework-00.txt

    Doug