    Re: Framing Discussion

    At 05:34 PM 12/20/2000 -0800, Mohan Parthasarathy wrote:
    >If every TCP segment has a iscsi header, which is a waste, then this
    >problem is relatively simple in identifying which iscsi command
    >a given TCP segment belongs to and also indexing into the right
    >offset inside the buffer.

    Why would such a solution be a waste?  As a percentage of bandwidth, this
    falls very much into the noise category even with 1500 Byte segments.  Most
    high-speed protocols including new ones such as InfiniBand use a small
    header per packet to allow hardware a simple mechanism to understand where
    to place the data (also applies to software implementations which can do
    better with minor hardware assists).

    At the first BOF, I spoke about aligning the protocol with InfiniBand since
    that will eventually become the server point of attach in the coming
    years.  The suggestion was made to include the same RDMA semantics (if they
    are supported) as InfiniBand.  It was further suggested there an in other
    e-mail that a simple 8-byte header with a 4-byte CRC be associated with
    each segment and that these fields be contained within the data payload so
    that TCP is not impacted.  The contents of this header would contain a
    8-bit op-code, VA, length, etc. allowing the responder to target the memory
    on the host / controller if all fields were valid.  If there was an
    out-of-order delivery, the data could be spilled to temporary memory either
    in the host or the adapter and upon recovery, delivered to the correct
    target buffer without requiring host processor intervention with a little
    creativity.  This 12-bytes of overhead for SCSI operations would have
    minimal impact on link utilization and overall solution efficiency.  I
    believe these same concepts have been stated in the various RDMA proposals
    that have been distributed and given the eventual movement to InfiniBand
    for servers and the new SRP (SCSI RDMA Protocol), one might want to create
    an iSCSI solution that can easily bridge into these other technologies.

    Note: The arguments about adapter complexity, impact to OS, etc. are rather
    moot in many ways.  The work will be done to support InfiniBand over the
    next couple of years and thus the cost to implement / support is going to
    be fairly minimal.  It should also be noted that many of these changes have
    already be done using PCI / PCI-X based solutions that support VIA,
    Scheduled Transfer, Oracle, MPI, Sockets Direct, etc. so the ability to
    deploy solutions in the highly desirable I/O interconnect independent way
    is available today as well.  One does need to wait or rely upon InfiniBand
    to make all of this happen.  It should also be noted that many companies
    will be working to have Linux support for this type of technology in the
    upcoming year so solutions should be available to all by the time iSCSI
    ramps to volume in 2002.

    Mike