    Re: Framing Discussion

    > >> The design goal behind the framing discussion
    > >> is avoidance of that copy.  In contrast to the
    > >> typical case for NICs and TCP/IP, read data
    > >> buffers for SCSI data are usually *not*
    > >> interchangeable.
    > >>
    > >Why are they not interchangeable ? This is an
    > >assumption not stated anywhere.  Is there
    > >a list of other assumptions that is documented ?
    > >

    > Typically, the original data buffer is with the application that
    > made the SCSI READ request - and this buffer may not have been
    > allocated with the constraints that should be ready for a simple
    > swapping. Assuming that the constraints are met, it would require
    > VM page flipping, which is considered to be an implementation hack.

    Buffer being allocated by the user application is just one case
    where applications are doing raw read. I understand that it
    is a problem when buffers are pre-allocated. But is this
    the problem space we are addressing here ? Moreover,
    page flipping is just one techinque for doing zero copy.

    > A protocol level solution to locate the buffer and its offset for
    > the incoming TCP segment is probably a better thing to have.

    My point is it is not needed always. There are at least two cases
    i can see here :

    1) iscsi layer posts pre-allocated buffers for receiving data
       from network.

    2) iscsi layer posts commands and willing to receive buffers
       handed by the transport layer. In this cases, i would assume
       the iscsi layer can easily separate the data belonging to
       the different commands it posted. I don't see why you need
       any other extra mechanism here.

    So, what are the assumptions we are making on the iscsi/TCP
    architecture ?

    -mohan