    RE: Framing Discussion

    > >Why are they not interchangeable ? This is an
    > >assumption not stated anywhere.  Is there
    > >a list of other assumptions that is documented ?
    > >
    > Typically, the original data buffer is with the application that
    > made the SCSI READ request - and this buffer may not have been
    > allocated with the constraints that should be ready for a simple
    > swapping. Assuming that the constraints are met, it would require
    > VM page flipping, which is considered to be an implementation hack.

    I think you are mixing TCP and SCSI implementations.  The SCSI semantic
    requires the buffers of a READ pre-allocated and locked.  For TCP, the
    incoming byte stream enters a socket can be buffered waiting for a READ
    command.

    > A protocol level solution to locate the buffer and its offset for
    > the incoming TCP segment is probably a better thing to have.

    I guess by protocol you are referring to the TCP/RDMA or iSCSI framing that
    allow the iSCSI data in a TCP segment to be quickly moved to the application
    buffers, PRE-ALLOCATED, without in-order arriving.

    Y.P. Cheng, Connectcom Solutions.