    iSNS and zoning

    In looking at iSNS draft, I get the impression that the zoning service
    as currently defined is a poor mimicking of its Fibre Channel counter
    part. In FC fabric, the switch has several mechanisms to prevent an
    N/NL_Port from unauthorised/unintended accesses, since it is part of
    the access path. However, with iSNS, which could be a stand alone name
    server, I'm having hard time understanding how this storage name server
    could enforce the claims made in the draft, such as:

    a)
    	> 3.1.3    Network Zoning Service

    	> .... snip ....
        	> The Network Zoning Service implements the functionality to support
        	> grouping of iSNS client devices into domains for administrative and
        	> access control purposes.

    b)
    	> 4.3      Zone Object

        	> Zoning is a security and management mechanism used to partition
        	> storage resources.  Zoning prevents initiators from potentially
    	> logging in to every possible target during device discovery.

    iSNS as currently defined is only a repository of information of the so
    called zones. It has no way to prevent an authorised rogue iSCSI initiator
    from setting up a TCP connection with an iSCSI target. The best place to
    implement security and access control is the iSCSI target itself.

    -JP