    From: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu [mailto:owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu]On Behalf Of
    Wayland Jeong
    Sent: Friday, December 15, 2000 10:17 AM
    To: 'Matt Wakeley'; IPS Reflector
    Subject: RE: iFCP: FC-BB exists, why invent something new?

    I wish I had a hat to take-off ;-)

    > Wayland Jeong wrote:
    >
    >> The
    >> salient difference here which, in my mind makes the two proposals (iFCP
    and
    >> FCIP) difficult to reconcile, is the fact that iFCP does not require
    FC-BB.
    >> The devices on each side of the gateway are completely isolated from one
    >> another in the FC sense.
    >
    > Ok, so iFCP is going to connect FCP devices.  FC-BB already exists to
    "bridge"
    > FC islands. FCIP appears to provide the FC-BB functionality (and is not
    > restricted to FCP). What does iFCP bring to the table that FC-BB does not
    > already provide?

    I guess my comment here was a little misleading. FCIP does not require FC-BB
    since FC-BB as defined encompasses SONET and ATM specifically. I was
    referring to the requirement that an FCIP distributed SAN would utilize the
    SW-2 concepts of Autonomous Regions (AR's) and Border Switches (BSW's). In
    FCIP, the interconnection of BSW's requires the use of the FSPF-backbone
    routing algorithms for resolving paths created by the virtual ISL's between
    FCIP devices. As currently defined, an FCIP implementation would need to
    have some static tables to describe which logical ISL's actually exist. This
    logical network through the IP cloud would represent an AR-0 network in the
    SW-2 sense.

    Now, that's all fine and good, but the thing that iFCP gives you is the
    ability to present a "non-transparent" interface to the IP network. This
    "non-transparent" gateway has some distinct advantages in my mind. For one,
    it allows "implementations" to isolate domain assignment between SAN
    islands. In an FCIP connected network, when you slammed two SAN's together,
    conflicting domain's would become isolated. In an iFCP connected network,
    since the labeling of remote physical devices is maintained locally and
    resolved through a DNS-like structure, remote SAN's are much less tightly
    coupled.

    The other thing that makes me squirm a bit is FCIP's reliance on SW-2
    concepts that, I don't believe, are entirely wrung out yet. In reading SW-2,
    the whole notion of BSW's and backbones seems a bit vague to me and I am not
    aware of any real implementations (I know Gadzoox had what they called an
    Area Switch, but that was a while ago). If my memory serves me correctly,
    the whole notion of AR's and BSW's came out of the fact that FC could not
    settle on a routing protocol. There was Brocade's FSPF and there was OSPF
    which was used by everyone else. The AR's and BSW's allowed one to connect
    FC SAN island's comprised of switches from different vendors.

    Now, I know that ANSI is starting a BB-2 project which will address more
    than SONET and ATM and maybe something viable for connecting SAN's through
    IP will emerge.

    My 2 cents anyway.

    > -Matt

    -Wayland