    RE: re EMC IPR notice

    With my WG co-chair hat off:

    > Mr. Black's announcement regarding an existing EMC patent took me by
    surprise.
    > Is the technology covered in the EMC patent critical for iSCSI (or FCIP
    for that matter)?
    > Isn't the preferred practice of IETF to develop non-proprietary standards
    -- or have I missed something?

    > Apologies if this question is idiotic.  I know nothing about the context
    of Mr. Black's posting.

    Here's the context.  The announcement I posted is in
    answer to the following question posted to this list:

    As Scott and Steve have noted, further information can be found
    in Section 10 of RFC 2026.

    Any further questions about the notice should be directed
    to EMC's Office of the General Counsel as indicated in the notice.

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500