    RE: iFCP: FC-BB exists, why invent something new?

    Matt,

    <some material deleted>

    > Ok, so iFCP is going to connect FCP devices.  FC-BB already
    > exists to "bridge"
    > FC islands. FCIP appears to provide the FC-BB functionality
    > (and is not
    > restricted to FCP). What does iFCP bring to the table that
    > FC-BB does not
    > already provide?
    >
    > -Matt

    iFCP allows routing storage traffic between individual
    FC devices over an IP network.  FC-BB only bridges SAN islands.
    As you are aware, there is a very significant difference
    between bridging and routing.

    The former (FC-BB) requires the routing to be performed by
    FC switches.  The latter (iFCP) has the routing performed by IP
    switches.  Since I work for Nishan, my opinion is the latter is
    much superior, but I have to admit there may be situations where
    a simple bridging/tunneling implementation will be sufficient to
    address a particular requirement.  BUT, I also believe
    there will be situations, especially with increasing storage
    networking demands, that the latter will be needed to achieve
    the required scale of storage networking deployments that will
    be needed in the near future.

    Josh