    RE: fcovertcpip - N_Port support.

    Venkat,

    I believe you have a good starting point.  I will offer a
    second area of consolidation--that iFCP and FCIP can adopt
    a common encapsulation and framing method.  This shouldn't
    be too hard--a common encapsulation over TCP that can
    support both FCIP and iFCP should be easy to work out.

    However, the biggest difference between iFCP and FCIP is
    in the addressing and routing mechanisms.  iFCP maps FC
    addresses to IP addresses, which allows IP switches and
    IP routing protocols to route the encapsulated frames to the
    destination FCP Portal over the IP network.  FCIP on the
    other hand relies on the FC switch and FSPF routing protocol
    to route traffic to the final destination, with the role of
    the IP network only to connect tunnel endpoints within the
    FC network.  This is the difference which I am having a hard
    time reconciling.

    Maybe it might be possible to create a common framework,
    (rather than a common protocol), under which both of these
    separate and unrelated mechanisms can be specified.  The
    framework would allow for address translation of FC addresses
    into IP addresses & N_PORT ID's, as well as for tunneling of
    the frames unchanged over the IP network.

    How does this suit everyone???

    Josh