    Re: Three states for a binary bit

    I think it has been quiet often asked why overengineering cannot
    remove congestion.over engineering can never be the ultimate solution to
    the congestion problem .As mentioned earlier, congestion is a transient
    behaviour, which can be possible in an over provisioned network too as
    internet is free for all. Having a higher bandwidth network would be like
    a wide road which can handle a large traffic most of the time,but
    which at times could lead to traffic jams with sudden surge in
    traffic from anywhere.Hence a solution very close to ideal would be to
    have greater control at the edges together with improved algorithms at the
    individual sources to handle congestion and corruption. Taking this into
    consideration, TCP certainly needs an improvement in its algorithms to
    improve itself at times of congestion. But that alone won't help it or the
    network in any way. The effort to make TCP less benevolent would certainly
    help TCP to some extent , but that would mean pushing greater amount of
    data to the network which inturn could be detrimental to TCP
    itself as it is going to increase the congestion more. Hence
    there is a greater need to have a congruent effort by both the network,
    represented by the edge gateways(as they will have a better idea of the
    whole picture of the network) and sources using TCP or any other
    protocols to reduce the congestion and inturn benefit from
    it. Concentrating on only one of these is not going to solve the problem
    in any way. overprovisioning could certainly not, as can be seen from the
    past. The "need for more" is an inherent quality of man which can never be
    fulfilled but control over it would certainly help to make things better.

    Renjish.

    Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they
    have to say something.

    Plato