    Re: Three states for a binary bit (was Re: TCP (and SCTP) sucks on high speed networks)

    In message <5.0.0.25.2.20001205220815.02db9850@mail.reed.com>, "David P. Reed"
    typed:

     >>At 03:02 PM 12/5/00 -0800, Alhussein Abouzeid wrote:
     >>>The shared resources are in the network (capacity, buffer,..etc.) not the
     >>>sources. Ofcourse, the sources can go a long way in relieving network
     >>>congestion. But first, they need to know about it. In the absence of any
     >>>signaling from the network (other than dropping packets when congestion
     >>>happens) and in the prescence of random packet errors, I don't see how
     >>>"intelligent" source algorithms can make clearly "intelligent" decisions.

    a pure end2end system that adapts to network conditions has a lag - at
    best its around 1/4 RTT (asuming BECN for sender adaption and FECN for
    receiver adaption) - even asuming RED/early ECN marking (or dropping)
    a single point in the net doesn't know the global conditions, so it
    can't do more than say adapt and a single source/sink cannot do more
    than hunt for a correct operating point slowly given this binary
    feedback

    to give quantitative feedback so a source can setpoint adapt
    immediately, routers would need to distribute the traffic conditions
    but there are lags in doing this - one can break the problem down
    hierachically (nimdor maps) and distribute the overal conditions
    (fuzzy flooding updates on traffic conditions within each level with
    link state data) this is tricky, coz the topological hierachy doesnt
    always match the traffic load "hierarchy" - in fact its this
    _mismatch_ which makes traffic engineering a genuinely hard problem...

    anyhow, if the routing substrate did distribute traffic condition info
    in a reasoanbly timely way, then setting the thresholds for
    RED/ECN to give fast end system convergence would probably be
    good enough (although explit rate feedback might still be handy for
    "fast start" - actually, i guess this could be like path mtu discovery
    done at tcp cx setup time on a path not used recently - this has been
    discussed before on the list)

    but i dont see this idea of having "better informed routers" that do
    traffic engineerign (and maybe qos routing) and a
    clean set of interfaces between end2end protocols and the traffic
    management substrate (i.e. ECN plus a way to find initial guesstimates
    for parameters like tx window and packet size)....after all its all
    soft state...

    so long as we don't try to implement any kind of consensus voting
    system in the routers that are made in the USA:-)