    RE: iFCP vs FCIP

    Josh,

    It seems FC switching and networking technology is driven primarily by the
    needs of back-end storage subsystems. If we look at design choices that FC
    has adopted, it is very clear that they focus on smaller networks (you
    typically don't expect thousands of storage subsystems connected into a
    common shared SAN with cascade of switches, behind your hosts even in a
    large data center), with very low media loss rates (frame corruption rates
    of 10^-16 is typical), smaller latencies (10us to 100us). Given the
    evolution from a bus architecture (SCSI), the number of targets discovered,
    the in-order delivery of data frames, low latency across the network are
    "assumed" by applications. Whereas it is natural to set up an asynchronous
    request on a TCP socket, most applications assume low latency and issue a
    synchronous request to a storage subsystem. Block-level access based
    applications have not assumed the same modes of failures as a file-level
    access based applications have.

    An example is out-of-order delivery of exchanges. Creating an FC mesh with
    FSPF (as described in FC-SW-2) can cause out-of-order delivery of FCP
    exchanges. End points are supposed to deal with out-of-order delivery, but
    very few SCSI drivers and target mode devices appear to deal with this. So,
    fabric vendors are forced to guarantee in-order delivery; one way they do
    this is to ensure that FSPF routes remain "fixed" and a route change can
    only occur after an R_A_TOV time elapses without any I/Os on the ISL.

    Another example is approach to flow control and congestion avoidance. Flow
    control is addressed using buffer-to-buffer credits, but congestion
    avoidance in ISLs is something not really addressed. The solution is to use
    Class-4 service and some form of VC_RDY to avoid this. Overprovisioning ISLs
    is something that is rarely done. Once again, block storage being at the
    bottom most layer in the information hierarchy of an organization, requires
    robustness and predictability in performance. FC has targeted these issues
    and addressed them well. It is fairly easy to achieve upwards of 90% link
    utilization on an FC-AL, but much harder to do in an Ethernet segment.

    Extending storage over a wide area either with iFCP or FCIP or FC-BB-2 needs
    consideration of how applications are to deal with these problems and
    issues. Without block-level applications adapting to wide-area networking
    (loss rates of 10^-4, latencies of 100ms), it becomes harder to take care of
    these issues in transport layer. Although iFCP and FCIP are both workable
    technologies, I'm not sure if a mere address translation, or setting up a
    tunnel is adequate. Again, what guarantees can we provide about in-order
    delivery at the FCP Portals of iFCP?  Maybe block-level access in host
    drivers and kernel block-level I/O will take care of these over time. But
    until then, FC products and fabrics will continue to have its role. In that
    respect, FC over ATM (FC-BB-2) appears to be  closer to the original design
    goals of FC, compared to iFCP. BTW, I assume that iFCP handles FC-AL
    correctly, by implementing an FL_Port equivalent.

    Venkat Rangan
    Rhapsody Networks Inc.
    http://www.rhapsodynetworks.com