    Re: iSCSI draft 02: digests

    Mark/Julian:

    Mark Bakke wrote:

    > Yes, the connection should not be recovered, but the iSCSI session
    > can be.

    I have thought on this for a bit, and it seems to me one must
    have a look at what went wrong if a digest fails and yet TCP
    still delivered the packet. Was it TCP's fault? Well in some
    ways one could answer yes... since what happened is a sequence
    of bit errors was somewhere introduced to the IP packets that
    caused:

    A) TCP's (and IP's) checksum to still pass
    and
    B) The stronger digest protection detected the error.

    Now then, the question is how can we fix the problem?
    I think that you must get a new copy of the bad segment
    to the receiver... Here in lies the question, what will
    make it so we can do so:

    Will restarting the TCP connection (or keeping the same
    one for that matter), make any difference? I don't think
    so... it was something in the network that caused this
    error to occur, if it is a fluke then retransmitting the
    packet on the same or a new connection will not make
    a bit of difference ... since it is the network that
    corrupted the packet. If it is not a fluke random chance, then
    you have a more serious network (or TCP stack) problem and
    all the restarts in the world are not going to make the packet
    go through since the network or stack will just keep re-corrupting
    the packet...

    Bottom line is I am not convinced reseting the connection will
    gain you anything.. I don't think it will hurt .. but I don't
    see you gaining anything...

    --
    Randall R. Stewart
    randall@stewart.chicago.il.us or rrs@cisco.com