    Re: TCP (and SCTP) sucks on high speed networks

    > Matt Wakeley:
    > Consider a 10Gbs link to a destination half way around the world.
    > A packet drop due to link errors (not congestion or infrastructure
    > products) can be expected about every 20 seconds.  However, with
    > a RTT of 100ms (not even across the continent), if a TCP connection
    > is operating at 10Gbs, the packet drop (due to link error) will
    > drop the rate to 5Gbs.  It will take 4 *MINUTES* for TCP to ramp
    > back up to 10Gbps.

    Further analysis could make this case stronger.  For example:

    I suspect your figure of one link-corrupted packet every 20 seconds
    assumes some particular encoding method.  What sort of coding would
    be required to reduce the link's uncorrected error rate by a factor
    of 10 or 100?

    Are you envisioning that the entire 10 Gb link will be occupied by
    a single TCP connection?  That is, are you thinking about a 10 Gb
    *link* or a 10 Gb *flow*?

    When do we expect 10 Gb/s cross-country paths where link losses
    dominate congestion losses?

    How does the bandwidth-delay product compare with the amount of
    outstanding data that SCSI can have for a single device?  Similarly,
    how much data will a typical application be able to transfer before
    needing to stop for a filesystem-level synchronization operation
    (such as locking or waiting for data to commit to disk or doing a
    directory update or allocating more disk quota)?

    Dave Eckhardt