    RE: Urgent as Framing Hint?

    Julo,

    Fanfare to change TCP started at the pre-BOF meeting at 3Com and has
    diminished little since.  As you still wish to include the urgent pointer
    record marking scheme within the iSCSI proposal, intent to modify TCP is
    clear and John Hufferd underscored this effort with his statements.  The
    proposal description of how TCP is to behave was indicated to be incorrect
    and yet you persist in maintaining an incorrect TCP behavioral statement.
    As this urgent pointer scheme is problematic, your intent to continue
    employing this scheme despite short-comings indicates a determined effort in
    seeing TCP transform into a datagram protocol to support a desire for out of
    sequence processing.  At your initial presentation within IEFT, you
    indicated your desires in this area.  If I misrepresented statements, then I
    wish to hear a clarification that does not sound like equivocations.

    The iSCSI proposal (pg 13):

       "Unfortunately, when relying solely on the "message length in the
       iSCSI message" scheme to delineate iSCSI messages, a missing TCP
       segment that contains an iSCSI message header (with the message
       length) makes it impossible to find message boundaries in subsequent
       TCP segments. The missing TCP segment must be received before any
       following segments can be processed.

       The iSCSI protocol uses the urgent bit in the TCP header to delineate
       iSCSI messages. The first byte, and only the first byte, of every
       iSCSI PDU SHOULD be marked "urgent" if the receiving party has
       indicated its readiness to accept PDUs marked with the Urgent Bit &
       Pointer.  The result is that there will be a TCP segment with a valid
       TCP pointer (urgent flag set) pointing to the first byte of an iSCSI
       message in the TCP segment."

    Perhaps you would take time to explain how the last sentence "The result is
    that there WILL be a TCP segment with a valid TCP pointer (urgent flag set)
    pointing to the FIRST byte of an iSCSI message IN the TCP segment." is not
    mandating change to TCP.  Also can you explain how this requirement is
    useful to standard TCP implementations.  It is clear you are set to
    radically change TCP to allow out of sequence processing to achieve the goal
    of direct and immediate data placement between the network adapter and
    application space using iSCSI encapsulation.  As your endeavor venture far
    from TCP, I see little basis to site TCP as stable and supported when you
    then insist on making such changes.  I see much greater advantage in keeping
    TCP stable and allowing innovations to occur within a younger protocol that
    has explicit design goals which conform very closely to those sought for
    SAN.  The transport and the API of SCTP supports the type of adapter desired
    without alteration.  It is disingenuous to insist that you wish to use
    standard TCP and then go about making protocol requirements that are not
    possible nor useful with standard TCP.  I must say I question your sincerity
    when you say that you are not envisioning changes.  If I have misunderstood
    intent or taken statements out of content again my apologies.

    Doug