    iFCP: RE: FCIP: RE: iFCP

    [ stuff regarding differences between FCIP and iFCP deleted ]

    > With regard to transparency, the decision to support FCP is a design
    choice
    > driven by the fact that this is the only application protocol supported by
    > the vast majority of FC device implementations. If necessary, iFCP can be
    > extended to support the small residue of implementations that support
    other
    > protocols, such as FC-VI.

    I must have missed something in the iFCP proposal. I still don't see how
    this
    gateway protocol precludes the use of any valid FC-4 mapping. The draft
    describes
    implications to addressing and hence some of the necessary "augmentation" of
    ELS's, but I didn't see anything that deals specifically with FCP. There
    were
    some references to a multi-connection session model (MC) which implied that
    future drafts would support separate FCP_CMD and FCP_DATA TCP connections
    but the current draft mandates the single connection model (SC). In this
    model,
    a TCP session is established or bound when a device PLOGI's with another
    device.
    Once the TCP session is created, the gateway is fairly transparent to the
    ensuing
    conversations.

    > Charles

    -Wayland