    RE: FCIP: RE: iFCP

    I agree. The fact that the FCIP and iFCP are anagrams of each other is
    about where the similarity ends ;-)

    The intention of iFCP is to completely replace a FC fabric with an IP
    network.
    Thus, an iFCP gateway is best connected directly to FC devices. FCIP on
    the other hand is a way to extend a FC fabric across an IP infrastructure.
    Connections between FCIP devices appear to the FC network, for all intensive

    purposes, as ISL's between E-ports.

    I am curious though . . . is it the intention of iFCP to not preclude the
    use of
    a FC fabric within the gateway? That fact was implied in this thread, but
    I'm
    not quite sure how that would work. Since an iFCP device allocates 24-bit
    identifiers to remote FC attached nodes, wouldn't an iFCP device on a FC
    fabric need to always be the principal switch? If a FC fabric exists inside
    the gateway, how is the routing resolved (FSPF in FC and OSPF in IP)?
    How do you resolve routing on a FC fabric which has two iFCP gateways?
    Since each gateway locally creates a 24-bit key for describing remote
    IP address and N_port ID pair, how do you keep the remote D_ID naming
    coherent between gateways connected to a common FC fabric?

    Also, even though the name iFCP implies that the gateway only services
    FCP (i.e. SCSI), I don't believe that it precludes the transport of any FC-4
    layer protocol like FC-VI. There doesn't seem to be anything FCP-specific
    in iFCP.