    RE: ISCSI: Urgent Flag requirement violates TCP.

    At 09:18 AM 11/14/2000 -0800, Y P Cheng wrote:
    >Well, the reasons for continuing to move data as fast as the wire speed in
    >the face of a sequence hole are: 1) out-of-order reception is considered
    >normal and happens often, 2) On a ten gigabit backbone, several milliseconds
    >of delay requires the buffering of several megabytes of data on an adapter.
    >(One megabyte per millisecond).  Incoming data are not limited from a single
    >source.  Many nodes may send and return data to an adapter at the same time.
    >At a gigabyte per second incoming rate, using several megabytes of SRAM for
    >buffering on an adapter is very expensive.

    1) what do you mean by "out-of-order reception is considered normal and
    happens often"? Last figures I saw talked about 3% of out-of-order TCP
    segments on WANs (worst-case). Is it a critical value?

    2) with 64MB of RAM, and not supporting Window Scale Option, given a
    maximum Window Size of 64k (I have seen it very rarely), we end up having
    1k-conns concurrently communicating with a given adapter. With a more
    reasonable Window Size (16k), the number of connections is four times more.
    Do we expect to see more connections than that? Do we plan to support
    Window Scale Option?

    >If there is any possibility for a TOE adapter to learn the beginning of an
    >iSCSI PDU in face of a sequence hole, while it could try to keep in-order
    >delivery of command and status PDUs -- although may not be necessary, the
    >data PDUs can be moved quickly to the buffers pre-allocated by application
    >software.  Hence, it will greatly reduce the buffering requirement of the
    >adapter.

    TCP is bytestream oriented, and each packet carries a Sequence Number. Why
    can't you save an out-of-order packet in his appropriate location (in the
    application buffer), and then put the missing packet in the appropriate
    hole? There is no need for copy.

    >If a TOE adapter can't move at the speed of the wire, how are we going to
    >take advantage of the 10 Gbps media?  On a large WAN with high speed
    >backbone connections with 100 millisecond latency, there could be 100
    >megabytes of data inflight.  Can we buffer all 100 megabytes on an adapter
    >or should we limit the inflight data by set a small TCP window limited by
    >the buffer size of the adapter?

    Even with large window sizes (64k), how do we have 100MB inflight? See my
    previous comment.

    >The right design of a TOE adapter is always
    >to move data quickly to the buffers already allocated by application
    >software and to allow as much data inflight as possible.  To achieve that,
    >the TOE adapter needs all the help it can get.  If we can't move data at the
    >wire speed, lets not bother to build 10 Gbps networks.

    Isn't the help provided by the TCP sequence number enough?

    -- Dante

    Dante Malagrino'
    Cisco Systems                  Empowering the Internet Generation
    170 West Tasman Drive                         Tel. (408) 525 4120
    San Jose, CA, 95134-1706                      Fax. (408) 525 4120
                                                      dantem@cisco.com