    RE: ISCSI: Urgent Flag requirement violates TCP.

    Matt,

    Revise the iSCSI proposal to reflect normal TCP behavior if using the urgent
    flag at the very least or it is also modifying the TCP sender.  It is
    unlikely nominal operation provides results indicated in the iSCSI proposal.

    As this required atypical use of TCP is only beneficial with a modified TCP
    receiver and as it slows a standard TCP implementation with extra sends and
    pointer operations, complete this proposal by documenting the API for this
    modified TCP receiver implementation.  TCP is not a wire specification.  The
    iSCSI urgent pointer proposal is modifying the TCP receiver, even as an
    option, and there is a larger responsibility in creating an adapter
    interface that conforms to this protocol more than one company presumably
    will be using.  Such an API should include a means of notifying the adapter
    which port will operate according to iSCSI UPRM-TCP as a minimal requirement
    as this protocol provides no outward notification.

    Your replacement for RFC 2960 will get lost in the woods should it be used
    on the wrong port or with the wrong encapsulation.  Without this effort,
    each implementation of this TCP modification will be unique with respect to
    the adapter interface and that is not likely acceptable as these adapters
    will still be used for other network traffic.  This major innovation
    singularly benefits but one version of iSCSI.

    Should there be a TCP implementation that does not conform to pointer
    expectations as most machines do not actually point to byte locations, and
    as some vendors may wish to not burden their standard TCP, provide a means
    to allow this feature to remain optional.  Should this concept prove
    problematic, then there would be an alternative path without the burden.

    Doug