    Re: iSCSI: error recovery

    Pierre,

    Nevertheless please look for holes.  It will help us all.

    Pierre Labat <pierre_labat@hp.com> on 09/11/2000 19:27:35

    Please respond to Pierre Labat <pierre_labat@hp.com>

    To:   Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
    cc:
    Subject:  Re: iSCSI: error recovery

    julian_satran@il.ibm.com wrote:

    > Pierre,
    >
    > Interesting scenario - but ENTIRELY WRONG.
    > A more carefull reading of the draft would have solved your problem.
    > After a failed connection the two parties (I & T) are supposed to do some
    > cleanup.
    > In the old draft that was accomplished by having the initiator indicate
    in
    > the new login
    > what old connection it is replacing.

    In the old draft, to do the cleanup, opening a new connection was
    mandatory.
    Of course opening this new connection has to be quick because
    the recovery is waiting for that to start.
    But opening a new connection because one failed is not always
    easy and fast, you can easily hit  the same problem that failed
    the original one.
    Hence i was thinking (among other options) about recovering
    with the already opened connections (without the cleanup that
    would have been done by opening a new connection).
    The scenarios can apply in this case.

    But now that we have the logout message that allows to do the cleanup
    without opening a new connection (as far as you have at least two
    connections in a session), the scenarios i exposed are solved.
    Hence if the session has several TCP connections
    and one breaks, you can start the recovery right away on an already
    opened connection and
    try to re-open the failed TCP connection in background.

    Regards,

    Pierre