    Re: ISCSI: Urgent Flag requirement violates TCP.

    Black_David@emc.com wrote:

    > Some form of Matt's longer explanation (see below) about
    > the effects of coalescence needs to be substituted in
    > the draft for the sentence:
    >
    >   "The result is the TCP urgent pointer will point to the first byte of
    >         the iSCSI message in the TCP segment."
    >
    > because it's very easy to construct cases in which the
    > TCP urgent pointer points out of the segment, making the
    > above sentence false.  In particular, someone constructing
    > a hardware framer that looks for iSCSI CDBs should not be
    > mislead into relying on the urgent pointer to identify
    > a useful (or even worse, the first useful) boundary
    > in every inbound segment.
    >
    > Words are also needed to make it absolutely clear that
    > TCP is not permitted to "deliver" out of order to the
    > iSCSI layer - as Julian explained, the only point of
    > this urgent mechanism is to help out framing logic that's
    > processing the inbound stream, especially if SACK is being
    > used. Among the disasters that this prevents is iSCSI
    > completing and sending a response to a command when
    > the delivery of that command's CDB to the target has
    > not been ACKed by TCP (e.g., a TCP not using SACK).

    You make a point here that things can't be delivered to iSCSI out of order, then
    your reasoning below shows how this is not a requirement.

    > Let me expound on this a bit more because it's come up
    > in the past.  TCP is an ordered delivery mechanism;
    > data must be "delivered" to the target in order.  In
    > contrast, SCSI is mostly an unordered mechanism - unless
    > order is explicitly specified, commands can complete out
    > of order, and often do on disks and disk arrays.  I
    > put "delivered" in quotes because the only way to know
    > that a SCSI command has been "delivered" is to observe
    > that execution of the command has started (e.g., the
    > disaster in the previous paragraph where execution completed
    > on data that was never ACKed by TCP is clear evidence that
    > someone is not playing by the rules).

    Right - it's impossible for a "status" to be received before the "command" for
    that status was delivered.  So your "disaster" can't occur.

    >  So, it's ok
    > to parse/frame/etc. the data to set it up for execution
    > of the SCSI command, but DON'T DO ANYTHING until TCP
    > has "delivered" the command and all the data prior to
    > it by sending or being prepared to send the appropriate
    > ACKs.

    This I disagree with.  If a tightly coupled TCP/iSCSI stack where able to regain
    framing after a lost TCP segment, it is perfectly OK for iSCSI to process the
    iSCSI messages and deliver them to the SCSI layer (with the exception that
    commands must always be delivered in order), even before the lost segments
    arrive.  This works perfectly well in Fibre Channel today.

    For example, if the following iSCSI messages are sent:

    Command A sent to target  ->
    Command B sent to target  ->
    <- target sends data/status for command A
    <- target sends data/status for command B

    If the TCP segment containing the data/status for A was lost, but framing was
    regained to receive the data/status for B, there is nothing wrong with
    completing command B even though a message for command A was lost and needs
    retransmitting.  Indeed, the initiator SCSI layer would not know the difference
    than if the disk drive completed command B first instead of A.

    -Matt Wakeley
    Agilent Technologies