    RE: FCIP: A question about framing

    Murali,

    Please review the charter for this WG:

    1)
    "The group will focus on the transport or transports and related issues
    (e.g., security, naming, discovery, and configuration), as opposed to
    modifying existing protocols."

    2)
    "The WG cannot assume that any changes it desires will be made in these
    standards, and hence will pursue approaches that do not depend on such
    changes unless they are unavoidable."

    3)
    "It may be necessary for traffic utilizing the WG's encapsulations to pass
    through Network Address Translators (NATs) and/or firewalls in some
    circumstances; the WG will endeavor to design NAT- and firewall-friendly
    protocols that do not dynamically select target ports or require Application
    Level Gateways."

    4)
    "The WG will not work on:
    - Modifications to internet transport protocols or approaches requiring
    transport protocol options that are not widely supported, although the WG
    may recommend use of such options for block storage traffic."

    This FC encapsulation proposal changes TCP explicitly for use with FC
    encapsulation (not even as an option to TCP) and violates the WG charter.
    RFC 2960 allows desired alignment and precise encapsulation for the desired
    acceleration without violating a transport specification.  As there is a
    valid alternative that does not require modification of a transport protocol
    for desired features, there is little justification for making these
    changes.

    Doug