    RE: Keep-alive traffic (was iSCSI: more on StatRN)

    Cheng,

    A flow control scheme is required beyond TCP as target and initiator traffic
    must be handled separately over the same connection.  Unfettered, the
    initiator will consume buffers required by the target for completion of
    commands.  A type of buffer to buffer control is required beyond TCP.
    Presently, there is an optional command window which can provide only
    rudimentary control with respect to a common medium.  Buffer to buffer
    credits for the underlying media allows specific control where needed. It is
    also important to allow multiple targets to be carried over the same
    connection to reduce connection count.

    By having a flow control scheme that resolves to the real target, buffers do
    not become bloated and thus you do not have head of queue blocking hiding a
    SCSI ping. Do not forget about the buffers feeding the individual mediums.
    A device being serviced by this server interface is only able to deliver
    about 200 requests per second where most of these requests are small. Only
    by joining together several targets will wire speed be possible on any given
    connection.  Unfortunately, iSCSI does not allow this provision and hence
    requires a connection per target. :(

    Doug