    Re: iSCSI: error recovery

    • To: ips <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
    • Subject: Re: iSCSI: error recovery
    • From: David Peterson <dap@cisco.com>
    • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 16:35:03 -0500
    • Sender: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    Couple of comments below...dap

    > /<JS>
    >
    > The whole point about data numbering is to allow a target to discard
    > read-data when read-data is hard to recover (as in tapes).  Once data
    is
    > acked it is discarded. A target getting a command in restart mode will

    > resend whatever data it has still buffered (not acked) and continue
    from
    > there. The initiator would not e any wiser because it is not supposed
    > scoreboard.
    >
    > <JS>/

    Don't believe issuing a NOP to ack the read data is useful using a
    guaranteed
    delivery such as TCP, it only adds overhead.
    For a current tape target implementation I would expect it to hold on to
    the
    current record until the next command is received which implies the
    status was
    received at the host. Given the existing iSCSI tools, for the retried
    read
    command scenario I would expect the target to resend the data at offset
    0 (i.e.
    the start of the record).

    > I assume by the time iSCSI is implemented, tapes will be behave just
    like
    > discs.  Tapes are already moving to that model and there is a question
    of
    > whether the "fc-tape" error recovery in FCP2 will be needed when it is

    > completed.

    It is true we are moving/reviewing the explicit state tape drive model,
    but
    there will still be plenty of legacy tape devices around.

    begin:vcard
    n:Peterson;David
    tel;cell:612-802-3299
    tel;work:763-398-1007
    x-mozilla-html:FALSE
    org:Cisco Systems, Inc.
    adr:;;6450 Wedgwood Road;Maple Grove;Minnesota;55311;
    version:2.1
    email;internet:dap@cisco.com
    title:Lead Architect - Standards Development
    fn:David Peterson
    end:vcard