    RE: Internet Storage Name Server iSNS Proposal

    Doug,

    As you are probably aware, LDAP can be used as the back-end
    database access protocol.  There are several reasons why
    we think iSNSP would be more favorable to LDAP as the
    front-end protocol for storage naming services:

    1)  LDAPv3 has a lot of functionality which is not needed for
    storage name service.  This could make embedding an LDAP server
    on a device such as a switch problematic.  We felt that a simple,
    dedicated protocol such as iSNSP would be far easier to embed
    on a switch in a similar manner to how name server implementations
    are embedded on Fibre Channel switches today.

    2)  Similar problem with the name server clients.  If LDAP
    was used as the front-end protocol, that would require
    every iSCSI device to have an LDAPv3 client implementation,
    in order to obtain name service.  I don't believe this would
    be a favorable situation, if you think about the extra
    CPU-resources required for each target and initiator to
    run the LDAP client.  Asynchronous notification must be
    implemented, which will consume resources one way or another.

    3)  Using iSNSP would allow you to hide the specifics of the
    LDAP schema from every name server client.  The LDAP schema
    for the back-end database would strictly become implementation-
    specific issue.  On the other hand, using LDAP for the front-
    end protocol would require a standardized schema that all
    clients must understand and conform to.

    4)  Using the LDAP persistent search capability for asynchronous
    notification requires a TCP connection be kept open for every
    client registered to receive the notification.  Again, this
    could be problematic for situation 1) above, as the server may
    be imbedded on a switch or other resource-constrained device,
    and would potentially have to keep 100's of TCP connections open.
    The alternative to persistent search is the client update
    protocol, which requires every iSCSI device to continually
    poll the server for changes.  Also not very scalable.

    Josh