    RE: iSCSI: more on StatRN

    Julo,

    Except from iSCSI spec.
    "The recovery involves the following steps:
     -abort offending TCP connection(s) (target & initiator) and
       recover at target all unacknowledged read-data
     -create one or more new TCP connections (within the same ses-
       sion) and associate all outstanding commands from the failed
       connection to the new connection at both initiator and target.
     -the initiator will reissue all outstanding commands with their
      original Initiator Task Tag and their original CmdRN if they
      are not acknowledged yet or a new CmdRN if they where ack-
      nowledged; in any case the retry (X) flag in the command PDU
      will be set
     -upon receiving the new/retry commands the target will resume
      command execution; for write commands it means requesting data
      retransmission through RTT, for reads retransmitting recovered
      data and for "terminated" commands retransmitting the status &
      sense while retaining the original StatRN. If data recovery is
      not possible the target will either provide data from the
      media or redo the operation (if the operation is not idempo-
      tent the device server may fail the operation)."

    Reliance on a replay of the initiator tag to re-establish original status
    and sense does not explain if adapter allegiance is handled.  Also without
    CmdRN, how is communication buffer closing prevented especially on a single
    connection?  By depending on the OS to detect the TCP failure, there is no
    deterministic timeouts at the target for the nebulous term "short time".

    Doug