    RE: iSCSI gateways, proxies, etc.

    Jim,

    Many of the typical functions offered by SCSI for discovery do not scale
    should there be significant numbers.  The complexity of device 'views' is
    only a small aspect that can not be practically solved within the transport
    itself.  Once a conclusion is reached on the need of an external database to
    handle these many complexities driven by aspects of authentication, device
    addressing, mounting information, permissions, as well as WWN,
    virtualization of the encapsulated Extended Copy address looks like a good
    idea.  With a user view within the database and a far more extensive server
    view, responsibility of verifying permissions together with any redirection
    is placed upon the SCSI access server and not the client.  The need for
    mixing IP and SCSI addressing within the SCSI encapsulation transport
    evaporate.  The device making the request should be able to assume a Copy
    Manager can both verify permission and discover the path based on wisdom
    granted by the database.  This process may be done by the access server
    parsing and embedding what is actually needed.  This Copy Manger's path can
    be as complex as one of David's nightmare double NATs but nowhere along the
    way would a DNS be needed.

    Doug