    RE: iSCSI gateways, proxies, etc.

    > I do not understand what is meant by "out-of-band".  Is it some
    > kind of manual configuration?

    Out-of-band means that the configuration is not done as part of
    setting up the iSCSI connection.  It could be manual or automatic -
    both the DNS and firewall examples in my original message were
    examples of automatic out of band configuration.  I believe that there
    are implementations of the DNS example, and the IPsec community
    is in the midst of working on automating things that include the
    tunnel autoconfig required by the firewall example.  The firewall in the
    example I used could be a stateful inspection firewall; the intent
    was not to have the firewall itself be a visible iSCSI proxy.

    The NAT example is "Bidirectional NAT" or "Twice NAT" with dynamic
    setup of the address translations.  See Sections 4.2 and 4.3 of RFC 2663,
    and discussion in that RFC of using a DNS-Application Level Gateway.
    The example I described uses invocation of and information from the
    DNS-ALG to set up the translations as opposed to the RFC description
    that does not include the setup mechanism.

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500