    Re: iSCSI CONNECT message

    There has been a lot of discussion on adding support for poxies
    within the iSCSI protocol.  There have been a number of examples
    given, but I am questioning if this is an actual environment
    that we need to care about.

    If we look at most of the IETF protocols, they are designed to
    be a direct connection between two end nodes and they work
    well in the existing Internet structure.  What I fail to see is
    what is unique about the iSCSI environment that we need to
    add explicit support for proxies.

    The most common problem that is faced is how to traverse a
    firewall.  To handle this all we really need to do is to make
    the protocol well behaved with respect to using well known
    port numbers (NFSv2 with the portmapper requirement is a bad
    example, NFSv4 with a single well known port is a good example).
    As currently proposed, this should not be a problem with iSCSI.

    The second issue are NAT devices, as they are commonly deployed
    they map the source address on the way out and remap the destination
    on return. As currently defined, iSCSI does not initiate connections
    from the target for normal usage (I am ignoring 3rd party transfers
    as that is not what we are discussing now). We cannot have any
    security based on source address so that is not an issue. Therefore NAT
    should not be an issue.

    The only case that is of any consequence is if you wish to go from the
    hostile side of a firewall into the private side.  In this case there
    are lots of security and management issues that each site will want
    to directly control.  An automated mechanism to drill into a firewall
    is not likely to be accepted by network adminstrators so I see no
    value of putting it into the protocol.  A more likely scenerio is
    that a specific address/port in the firewall will be mapped to
    a specific target inside the firewall and the mapping managed out
    of band.

    In a more general case, the iSCSI protocol from a connection perspective
    is relatively simple.  As such, to develop an out of band proxy or
    gateway should not be difficult and therefore I see no reason to
    add extra things into the protocol.

    So the core question is what is different about iSCSI that it needs
    protocol extensions that most other IETF protocols don't need?

    	-David