    RE: iSCSI Naming and Discovery

    Douglas Otis,
    You said " ... You should consider the OS requirements for mounting.  The
    database which defines the target:LUN:WWN should also include a name for
    mounting...".

    I know of no such "Requirement".  So lets get back to the real problems and
    requirements.  I think the key point that we need to work on is the Naming
    and Discovery of iSCSI Devices (Storage Controllers) in the Greater IP
    network environment.

    iSCSI Team,

    I have been asked, why we are going over this Naming and Discovery stuff
    now when we agreed to get the main protocol document out first.  That is
    true, however, we have to assure ourselves that the Login process --perhaps
    supplemented with the approprate "Text String" approach is sufficient to be
    able to access the Storage Controllers in the IP network.  We also should
    factor in the needs of "Edge or Boundary" Bridges/Gateways, and be sure
    that they can also be appropriately supported by the Draft Proposal.  This
    applies to both IP Bridges/Gateways as well as Bridges/Gateways from IP to
    FC/SCSI.  We do not, at this time, need to nail down every thing associated
    with Discovery and Naming to have sufficient information to insure the
    Protocol Draft is adequate.

    I have also been told that there is a major networking trend in which
    customers are demanding methods of having "protocol private" networks.
    These seem to be sub-networks with various forms of IP based Gateways,
    which are protocol dependent, and  permit networks to be isolated to only
    specific application protocols.  I must admit that I was surprised by this
    trend, but I have heard something like it as folks have been concern about
    "mixing" the iSCSI protocols with other protocols, on the same general
    network.  Whether this is rational or not, is not as important as it is to
    understand that it is an important trend and people want to have that
    capability.

    After detail talks with Costa, we reached a  understanding that the current
    draft supported a general DNS approach for opening a TCP/IP connection
    while resolving a Human understandable name through various normal Routers
    and Switches to the ultimate target.  No changes seem to be needed to the
    Draft Protocol to support that.

    On the other hand,  in the notes that Costa (and Hafner) sent, which seemed
    to be in contrast to the above, was actually focused on how to get through
    the probable "Private-Network-Protocols-Specific-Gateways" which they
    thought would be demanded, based on current trends.  They wanted to be sure
    that there was enough information being exchanged at the establishment of
    the iSCSI Session, that "Private-Network-Protocols-Specific-Gateways" could
    in fact be built.  Hence, they were trying to define the approprate "TEXT"
    String that such a device could use in that effort.  Costa, and I (and
    perhaps Hafner and others) have now reach the conclusion that a separate
    "Connect" command is probably not required.

    In part of a conversation I had recently, I was told that the
    Protocols-Specific-Gateways, are so simple to build that as soon as the
    various vendors understand how to do it, they will roll out
    Gateways/Routers that will perform that function within weeks to 3 months.
    Also I was told that the overhead is so low in doing this, that generally
    it was not a concern.  I guess that is because, the only real overhead is
    on connection establishment, and not during normal flow, since tables are
    set at connection establishment time which permits the normal execution
    path to be very thin.  Now you can all believe that or not, but it sounds
    right to me.

    The finial consideration in this Gateway/Bridge focus will be analyzing the
    needs of the iSCSI to FC and FC to iSCSI Routers/Switches (They are also
    forms of Gateways/Bridges).  You may have seen some of that communication
    with Joshua.

    Again the key focus, in this thread (at this time), is to ensure that the
    Draft Protocol has the right things in it that permit these various types
    of routing to occur.

    .
    .
    .