    RE: SCSI URL scheme [WAS: Re: iSCSI: 2.2.6. Naming & mapping]

    • To: IP Storage <IPS@ece.cmu.edu>
    • Subject: RE: SCSI URL scheme [WAS: Re: iSCSI: 2.2.6. Naming & mapping]
    • From: "John Hufferd/San Jose/IBM" <hufferd@us.ibm.com>
    • Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 18:34:05 -0700
    • Sender: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    Peter Johansson,
    Not exactly.

    The iSCSI layer does NOT deliver a CDB to a LU.   And believe it or not
    this is the important point; it delivers the CDB to the SCSI layer.  It is
    the SCSI layer that defines how the LU is addressed, not the transport, and
    it is the SCSI layer that delivers the CDB to the LU.

    If you have not had the chance to review Jim Hafner's notes in this area,
    you might want to do so, they are, in general, very elucidating.

    .
    .
    .
    John L. Hufferd