    Re: iSCSI Naming and Discovery

    David,

    I'm glad we agree on some things.  At the risk of sounding too preachy...

    You wrote:
    >I would propose that the information required for #1 is the IP address
    >and port number as well as an inband representation of the LU.

    I'm still trying to figure out where inband representation of LU is
    required in this context.

    A couple of points:
    a) by "target" in the above context, I mean the iSCSI version of a "SCSI
    Target Device" (a box which holds many LUs and which has at least one IP
    physical node). N.B.  "target" is not a logical unit!
    b) Both (1) and (2) address the "how to open the TCP pipe" question, not
    what happens after the TCP pipe is open.  This pipe is initiator TCP to
    "target" TCP.
    c) an initiator does not "connect" to a logical unit.  It connects to a
    SCSI Target Device.

    The layers (as I see them) are:
      - TCP-to-TCP (open the pipe, certainly requires at least
    datum=ipaddress:port)
      - iSCSI-to-iSCSI (login, requires some authentication datum for iSCSI
    endpoints)
      - SCSI-to-SCSI (application client to LU device server and task manager
    --
         addressing datum at this level is LUNs)

    NOTE: Everything in the SCSI-to-SCSI layer is already defined (both
    discovery, naming, addressing, protocol, etc.). Everything at a TCP-to-TCP
    layer is defined (once the datum is acquired).  This WG needs to define the
    iSCSI-to-iSCSI stuff and perhaps assist in answering (2) above to
    facilitate the operation of the TCP-to-TCP layer (1).

    In SAM terms, the iSCSI-to-iSCSI job is to create the I_T nexus (there is
    no LU or LUN datum involved here).

    Where in either the TCP or iSCSI layer is a LU identifier or LUN required,
    desirable, etc?

    (Sorry if this comes across too strong! -- maybe it's just a bad day!)

    Jim Hafner