    Re: iSCSI Naming and Discovery

    I think we are in agreement, Jim.

    > >So I see the WG needed to resolve two independant issues, the first
    > >is how to name a sub-unit at login, the second is how to define
    > >the service level name that resolves into an IP/port and what the
    > >resolver is.  I think a URL is overkill for the former but might
    > >be appropiate for the latter.
    >
    > I don't see the reason at all for the first.  Sub-unit are SCSI LUs and
    > discovery and naming conventions for those are already established by T10,
    > SAM, SPC-x, etc.  The only issue that I believe this WG needs to resolve is
    > the mechanisms for the establishment of a connection between initiator and
    > target (and whatever authentication/security features are required on top
    > of that).

    You have just stated an opinion of the answer to the first question:
    "its a LU stupid" :-) I think that is a reasonable answer.

    > In short, can we split this into two independent questions:
    >
    > 1) what datum does an initiator need to establish the IP connection to the
    > target?
    >
    > 2) where can an initiator get that datum?

    I agree, this is a further refinement of what I was thinking as well.

    I would propose that the information required for #1 is the IP address
    and port number as well as an inband representation of the LU.

    The answer for #2 can vary from a static configuration to a distributed
    name service. Within the standards space the primary one is LDAP so
    we should standarize a schema for IPS. While LDAP is not a true
    global infrastrure it is becoming widely deployed in the enterprise
    space.  To handle the truely global name space, creating a new DNS
    record type might be appropriate as well.  I don't think there is
    going to be just one answer to this question.

    	-David