    RE: iSCSI sessions: Step 2

    Black_David@emc.com [mailto:Black_David@emc.com] wrote:

    > Now comes the hard part - Symmetric vs. modified
    > Pure Symmetric (modified by [5] above).  There are
    > over 1000 email messages in my mailbox for the ips
    > mailing list for the past two months, and I freely
    > admit to not having reviewed them in detail.  I suggested
    > in the "Let's try again" email that more weight should
    > be given to those working on implementations, especially
    > hardware, and have not seen any objections to that
    > suggestion.  My impression is that the opinion of such
    > people has been in favor of the Symmetric model -
    > Matt Wakeley (Agilent), and Somesh Gupta (HP) come
    > to mind as examples.  I'm not confident that this is
    > the WG consensus, but it appears to me that the
    > WG is headed in that direction.  Please comment on
    > this - the absence of comments/objections will be
    > taken as a sign of agreement.

    I've been neutral on this issue for quite some time. Perhaps others are also
    neutral, which may lead to the appearance of a lack of concensus.

    I'm biased toward symmetric sessions by personal aethestic opinion, as the
    design feels cleaner, but I do not have any objective technical arguments
    against asymmetric sessions. I think either can be made to work. As far as
    I'm concerned, I'd accept the results of a coin-toss.

    Regards,
    -Steve

    Steve Byan
    <stephen.byan@quantum.com>