    RE: SCSI URL scheme [WAS: Re: iSCSI: 2.2.6. Naming & mapping]

    Joshua,

    > Doug,
    >
    > I'm not sure we understand each other anymore.  I will just carefully
    > restate my points, and leave it at that.
    >
    > 1)  URL's (domain name & path) are needed in the iSCSI transport to
    > support proxy services.  Because of the prevalence of NAT, proxies
    > are necessary.

    Most likely, a DNS response will be inadequate in providing needed
    information for making a connection if it is more than a simple IP.  At this
    point, there are no SCSI proxy servers that rely on names so there is no
    prevalent use making a SCSI address translation which depends on a SCSI name
    server.  This is an invention you are suggesting.  You are suggesting the
    use of names is required.  That is not true!  You are recommending mapping
    SCSI drives into a directory scheme as denoted by your domain/path.  You
    insist this is the only means of addressing SCSI drives.

    See:
    http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2251.txt

    Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) is a distributed, hierarchical
    directory service access protocol used to access repositories of users and
    other network related entities. Information such as users found in NIS (flat
    file) should derive from LDAP as authoritive to take advantage of LDAP
    scalability.  The "DUA" (directory user agent) refers to the LDAP client
    querying these entities, such as an LDAP to NIS gateway or SCSI services.
    It is irrelevant whether the DUA and the client reside within the same
    address space.  The DUA giving this information to the client is termed
    "republishing".

    You *WILL* map drives to directories because this is how LDAP works!  You
    still have the joy of inventing names to act as place holders.  The
    important aspect of making use of this server, you discover all the mappings
    before making connection to this proxy or portal.  (Access to the portal
    MUST be routable from the gateway or there would not be any means to connect
    nor would access to the portal depend on embedded names.)  By doing so,
    there is no need for the portal to do any lookups real-time or need to embed
    names and in doing so weakening security.  If you want a SCSI transport to
    scale, do not expect name translations done in real-time.

    > 2)  Authentication is a separate issue and has nothing to do with
    > identifying the final destination device/LUN/WWN of the iSCSI traffic.
    > A separate key distribution server may improve scalability of the
    > authentication mechanism, but this has nothing to do with addressing
    > and routing of iSCSI traffic.

    Each name must be examined and resolved before an authentication check can
    be made.  By not embedding names, the address would already be resolved by
    LDAP in advance and far easier to check.

    > 3)  A LANE-type architecture for addressing and routing of iSCSI
    > traffic is a bad idea due to scalability and management issues.
    > The iSCSI transport must have imbedded routing information in the
    > form of a URL, to allow proxies and destination nodes to route
    > iSCSI traffic to its final device/LUN/WWN destination.

    It will take less effort to re-route a pre-resolved address than to first
    resolve the address and then remap it.  If the portal only needs the
    device/lun/wwn to do routing then that should be all that is given.  LDAP
    does not constrain the information embedded, only that it should not be
    resolved by the portal via your invented SCSI name server.  We are not here
    to re-invent the wheel and it makes no sense to do this live should you wish
    this equipment to scale.

    Doug