    RE: SCSI URL scheme [WAS: Re: iSCSI: 2.2.6. Naming & mapping]

    Doug,

    >Sorry, but that is not how a NAT works.  Yes NAT represents a problem only
    >from the perspective of the target.  The target should know what goes where
    >and who is authorized.  Once the client pokes through the NAT and
    identifies
    >in an opaque manner, end of problem.  A NAT does not use names, however
    your
    >LDAP server may provide a name to your browser for the purpose of finding
    >the gateway.  This name may only resolve locally within your enterprise and
    >not publicly as well.  Should you be attempting to connect over the Big I
    >your drives, then you will need to access the providers authentication
    >database that would include the mapping you desire.  This mapping would not
    >be text but rather binary information.  The retrieval of this information
    >may be symbolic but those symbols would never touch the SCSI layer.

    Thanks, but as a former network engineer, I am fully aware of how NAT
    works.  I was not talking about the NAT mechanism per se, but proxies.
    The client cannot "poke through the NAT" because the destination IP
    address is in a different address domain.  It's the proxy, not the original
    client that must do the DNS lookup for the final IP address destination.
    Conversely, the target will not see the original initiator, but the proxy.
    And guess how the proxy obtains the information to do a DNS lookup?  Hint:
    It's a critical piece of info in http which is not "binary information", but
    rather is a name in human-readable form...

    >Placing the authentication server within the SCSI transport does not
    improve
    >the ability to scale.  If anything, the authentication will occupy
    resources
    >needed for the retrieval of data.  Let a server specifically designed to
    >provide secure connections and access to the client and server perform that
    >function.  It makes no sense to conclude it becomes difficult to delegate
    >this function to a server already up and running.

    I don't understand why you equate placing the domain name & path in iSCSI
    PDU's to "putting the authentication server within the SCSI transport."
    We will need an authentication LDAP server regardless of whether domain &
    path go into the iSCSI PDU.  Once again, putting the ASCII-based name in
    iSCSI allows receiving nodes, INCLUDING intermediary proxies, to be able
    to identify the final destination of the iSCSI traffic.  That's all.  And
    as long as DNS is out there and in everyday use, why not use it?  I agree
    it's not perfect, but it works fine and scales.  I do believe we need
    something in addition to DNS for topology/resource discovery, but that can
    be handled separately using a different mechanism.

    Authentication is a totally different problem.  It involves distributing
    a shared secret between nodes and using it to create a message digest
    appended to the end of the iSCSI PDU which can be verified by each endpoint.
    It should be used only when necessary and required by the operational
    environment.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding your proposal, but it seems you're
    advocating total reliance on the authentication server, not only for
    authentication, but for IP endpoint discovery?

    Josh