    Enough on TCP vs. FCTP, please

    > End schemes to fix TCP; address the issues of TCP and SCTP.  Do not stand
    on
    > desires for TCP over SCTP or that a pact was made to promote TCP.  SCTP
    > performance will be superior to TCP using either hardware or software.
    SCTP
    > is easier to accelerate in hardware than TCP and any resulting SCSI
    standard
    > will change substantially as a result of the features of SCTP.  Even if
    > there was a generic RDMA option, SCSI would look more like Firewire as a
    > result.  A debased version of RDMA has already been offered that avoids
    > stepping on accepted options.

    I think this sort of debate really needs to stop.  Matt's draft is a
    reasonable
    attempt to apply an existing TCP feature to address a shortcoming in use
    of TCP for iSCSI.  It is not perfect, as is the case for most engineering
    tradeoffs and compromises.  SCTP does have a number of improvements
    over TCP (e.g., the whole session discussion is moot for SCTP), but TCP
    has significantly more deployment experience and a great deal of work in
    progress on hardware acceleration.

    I am restating the WG consensus that iSCSI needs to anticipate both
    SCTP and TCP, with the assumption that TCP deployments will come
    first.  Given this, Matt's draft is within scope for the WG.  If anyone
    other
    than Doug Otis disagrees, please say so and say why on the mailing list.

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500