    RE: iSCSI: Flow Control

    While memory may be getting cheaper, latency and transfer rates are getting
    higher.  We have gone from 25 m parallel SCSI buses to transcontinental
    TCP/IP connections; from 1 MB/s to 100 MB/s (and greater) transfer rates.
    These combine to make the maximum amount of data in flight that keeps the
    connection full to be growing much faster than memory cost is declining.
    (Exponential growth rates are applied to both memory cost and transmission
    speed; distance also appears to be growing very fast, although perhaps not
    exponentially).

    So while your argument is works if you keep the fabric size the same and
    increase the transfer rate (as it has been with the ATA interface - buffer
    costs have declined over the years), it does not work if the fabric keeps on
    growing as well.

    If a fabric introduces 1 ms (two orders of magnitude less than the worse
    cases I have heard) at Gbit speed, then we need 100 Kbytes of buffer space
    for a connection.  We don't have enough buffer to reserve this for all
    possible connections we could get (Fibre Channel designs could not reserve 4
    KByte for a smaller number of potential connections until recently).

    Jim

    PS if we actually are starting to need windows greater than 64 KBytes, is
    this a problem?  My understanding is that deployed TCP/IP products do not
    easily support extremely large windows.  This argues for spreading a single
    SCSI command across multiple TCP/IP connections for pipelining to overcome
    latency, not for bandwidth.