    RE: A Transport Protocol Without ACK

    Y P Cheng [mailto:ycheng@advansys.com] wrote:

    > While the work group
    > thinks we should
    > take advantage the flow control and congestion management of
    > TCP/IP, there
    > are alternatives known as BB-credit and EE-credit management.

    These are flow control mechanisms, not congestion control mechanisms. Fibre
    channel and InfiniBand do not have congestion control of any sort.

    >  The fibre
    > channel adapters make reliable delivery, lost packet detection, and
    > retransmission without TCP/IP.
    >
    > Randall, you are right, I did not spent time to provide the
    > working group a
    > draft defining such transaction-oriented protocol.  All I
    > have provided is
    > an idea that besides TCP/IP.  The designers for SCSI and fibre channel
    > adapters have solved the head-of-queue blocking, the congestion, and
    > retransmission problems.

    They have not solved the congestion problem. Please read RFC RFC 2914
    "Congestion Control Principles" and RFC 896 "Congestion Control in IP/TCP
    Internetworks".

    Regards,
    -Steve

    Steve Byan