    RE: bridging issues -- Converging FCP-2 and iSCSI control structures

    Charles,
    The "Additional Data" field in the SCSI Command PDU may be used to send
    either "immediate data," or  a CDB that is longer than 16 bytes, or both.
    To determine whether the "Additional Data" is "immediate data" or part of a
    long CDB, the flags (Byte #1, bits 6-7) must be examined.  The most
    expected case is that the CDB fits into the allocated 16 byte space, so
    only "immediate data" would be in the "Additional Data" field; in this case
    the flags (bits 6-7) are 00b. The current specification is not very neat
    with regard to this point, but using extra bytes to separate the "immediate
    data" length from the extra CDB length would have necessitated expanding
    the iSCSI header even more.

    How do others think we should clean up this part of the iSCSI header?

    The use of "immediate data" is for the case when the data for a command is
    small, in which case the entire data may be sent together with the SCSI
    Command PDU as "immediate data," thus avoiding the need to send a separate
    SCSI Data PDU.

    - Kalman

    Charles Monia <cmonia@NishanSystems.com> on 19/09/2000 03:09:20

    Please respond to Charles Monia <cmonia@NishanSystems.com>