    Re: Avoiding deadlock in iSCSI

    Prasenjit Sarkar/Almaden/IBM wrote:

    > Unfortunately, "implementation issues" determine the complexity of a
    > protocol and
    > consequently, whether the benefits of the protocol are worth the cost.
    >
    > BTW, zero-copy TCP/IP stacks have a lot of caveats (e.g. memory alignment
    > etc) which
    > is why they have never made it to any operating system. There are rough
    > implementations
    > in Solaris, BSD and Linux but none of them are particularly close to being
    > robust
    > (I have tried them all).
    >
    > What we need is a rational cost-benfit analysis, not simply whether its
    > just another
    > implementation issue.

    Prasenjit:

    I have used a zero-copy TCP/IP stack (if I recall correctly) in VxWorks
    or was it VRTX... I will grant you these are NOT *NiX systems and
    are just recently beginning to become PosiX compliant... but I
    seem to remember the zero-copy symenatics and I don't think there
    was a memory alignment requriement.. it has been a while so I
    may be mis-remembering.. :)

    --
    Randall R. Stewart
    randall@stewart.chicago.il.us or rrs@cisco.com